Neck and back pain is a condition that many people have experienced at one time in their life. Yet, when is the right time to undergo treatment or consult with a chiropractor? Would their treatment help alleviate your pain? Yes, chiropractors are the right professionals to treat the various pains felt and experienced in the body.
Chiropractors are licensed medical professionals that are required to pass national board exams before they become regulated by licensing boards of the state they set up their practice.
In Perth, a Perth Chiro centre may include one or a roster of licensed chiropractors that can diagnose and treat a host of disorders of the nervous and musculoskeletal systems.
Adjustment or manipulation of the joints and vertebrae, massage, and applied pressure are some of the techniques used by chiropractors to relieve pain. Lab work, X-rays, and MRI studies are some of the diagnostic tests they may order as well. They try to hasten the healing of the body through lifestyle counselling, rehabilitative and therapeutic exercises, and nutritional recommendations. However, their license does not include prescribing oral medications.
Subluxation is believed by chiropractors to be the main cause of neck or back pain. A misaligned in one or more of the spinal vertebrae causes subluxation. Pain is alleviated when subluxations are treated. The multiple conditions caused by subluxations include:
- Spondylosis or spinal arthritis
- Sports injuries
- Tendonitis and bursitis
- Whiplash brought on by trauma
- Leg pain
Chiro Centre tests
A first-time visit to a Chiro centre will require a patient to perform multiple tests for a chiropractor to determine his/her range of motion capability and posture. The series of simple tests may include:
- Side-to-side bending
- Bending forward
- Bending backward
- Check posture while standing up or sitting down
- Evaluate the way the patient walks
The centre may also include other forms of physical tests such as:
- Muscle and reflexes evaluation
- Check for any discrepancies of leg length or out-of-balance pelvis by measuring the length of both legs
- Piriformis test: the patient is made to lie down and asked to bend and flex the knee
- Evaluate grip or hand strength
- Check the flexibility of the hamstring muscle or sciatic nerve by making the patient raise one leg at a time in a locked-knee position
Chiro Centre diagnosis
Treatment options are explained and recommended by the Chiro centre as soon as the chiropractor determines the problem. Some of the recommended improvements include:
- Lifestyle and diet changes
- Modifying or increasing certain physical activities
- Quit smoking
- Certain kinds of exercises to help strengthen or stretch the neck and back
Chiro Centre adjustment techniques
The treatment of pain can be done in multiple ways by a chiropractor. The various adjustment techniques offered by Chiro centres include:
- Release work – The chiropractor separates the vertebrae by using his fingertips to apply gentle pressure
- Toggle drop – The chiropractor applies a precise and quick thrust after he has firmly pressed down a particular area of the spine
- Lumbar roll – The misaligned vertebrae is corrected with a quick thrust
The most effective and safest way to improve spinal function and get rid of pain is by consulting a chiropractor. Be sure to book in with the Perth Chiro Centre and be relieved from pain and discomfort.